West Fork Board Minutes 2-27-17
West Fork Community School District Board Minutes
Official Proceedings – Regular Meeting – February 27, 2017 – Unapproved
The West Fork Board of Education met for its regular meeting in the Superintendent’s Office in Rockwell. The meeting was called to order at 5:00 PM by Board President, Jim Tuttle. Board members present: Mary Schlichting, Mary Beth Sukup, Roger Witte and Rob Heimbuch. Also present were Superintendent Darrin Strike, High School Principal Clyde Tarrence, Middle School Principal Tracy Peterson and West Fork Board Secretary Lacey Pueggel.
Visitors: Zach Clemens, Lindsay Hizthusen, Kim Scott
After discussion, Sukup moved to approve the Agenda, Minutes from January 23, 2017, and February Bills; seconded by Schlichting. Motion carried 5-0.
Heimbuch moved to enter into public hearing for the 2017-2018 School Calendar; seconded by Sukup. Motion carried 5-0.
The Board held a Public Hearing on the 2017-2018 School Calendar. There were 2 main changes discussed. The first change is professional development will be held every Wednesday morning with a 1 hour late start for students, starting September 6th. The other change is March 15th and 16th of Spring Break will be makeup snow days if two school days are missed before January 19, 2018. The first day of school will be the 23rd of August with the last day of school being May 25th.
Witte moved to exit the public hearing for the 2017-2018 School Calendar; seconded by Sukup. Motion carried 5-0.
Sukup moved to approve the 2017-2018 School Calendar as presented and requested that the administration will look at before school programs and evaluate the process to make sure there is improvement; seconded by Heimbuch. Motion carried 3-2. Ayes: Sukup, Tuttle, Heimbuch. Nays: Witte, Schlichting. The Board will also re-evaluate this in 6-8 months.
Witte moved to approve the Open Enrollment as presented; seconded by Heimbuch. Motion carried 5-0.
Schlichting moved to approve Brandon Westendorf to serve as JJV Baseball Coach for summer of 2017; seconded by Sukup. Motion carried 5-0.
Heimbuch moved to approve the purchase of a 2014 International school bus for $62,500.00 from Hougland Bus to replace the bus totaled out in the accident; seconded by Schlichting. Motion carried 5-0.
Principal’s Report – Tracy Peterson and Clyde Tarrence
- MS just finished the Festival of Nations and it was a huge success
- FAST testing is complete for Winter we saw lots of improvement as a district
- FFA Week was last week
- Girls/Boys HS Track started
- Iowa Hall of Pride is coming up to do a Leadership Training on Friday March 3rd
- HS has been looking at curriculum and working with the courses to keep things updated
- National Honor Society visiting the State Capitol this week
- Indoor Track Meet 2/28/2017 – Boys and Girls
- Congrats to Levi Janssen 1st place at State AAU Wrestling
- Congrats to Jarel Arbegast and Jacob Hansen for placing 2nd and 3rd at State Wrestling
Superintendent’s Report – Darrin Strike
- Sheffield Fire Department came to tour building to show Firefighters unfamiliar with the facility the layout
- Cheerleaders are performing in Des Moines at the Tournament on March 6th
- Audit Hearing was held on Feb 13th
- District Health Insurance will increase by 8.31% for 17-18 school year
- Received the written report from Homeland Security as a follow-up to their December visit
- We will be planning to visit the Charles City Food Service
- Strike and Eric Burt will be going to NIACC to work on the new CTE redesign on March 1st
- Next month – Budget Hearing, Budget Approval, Bids for a Handicap Accessible Bus, and Audit Approval
- Next Board Meeting March 20, 2017 at 5pm in Sheffield
Witte moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:40pm; seconded by Schlichting. Motion carried 5-0.
Board President – Jim Tuttle Board Secretary – Lacey Pueggel