Announcements – February 16, 2018 – Day A
Today’s Lunch Menu: Bosco stick, Baked beans, Chips, Pears, Milk
Monday’s Breakfast: Cereal/Toast, or pancake on a stick, Fruit, Milk
Monday’s Lunch: Chicken fajitas, Green beans, Mandarin oranges, Milk
* Seniors, please stop in the office and pick up your baby/senior pictures. Also, there are several seniors that still need to turn in senior pictures: Alax Starbuck, Trinity Lumley, Ian Gonzalez, Chase Barker
* There is a softball sign up sheet in the office.
* February West Fork students are in charge of delivering Meals on Wheels. The sign up sheet is in the office for Juniors and Seniors. There needs to be 2 people signed up for each day, with at least one licensed driver. Today 2/16: Jacqlyn Caspers and Ylani Guerrero
* There is a golf sign up sheet in the office.
* Reminder: If you are entering or leaving the building during the scheduled school day, you are required to stop in the office and sign in and out. This does include seniors.
* If a student is absent, the parent is asked to notify the office. The school phone system is setup to take messages 24 hours a day (for calls before and after the office is open). Upon returning to school after being absent from the building, the student is required to check in with the office. Before leaving for any reason during the school day, the student is required to check in with the office prior to leaving the building. If the school has not been notified and the student is absent the school will attempt to notify the parents or guardian.
* The West Fork Music Department is excited to present Disney’s Camp Rock: The Musical this Friday (2/16) at 7:00 pm in the north gym. Tickets are available in the high school office. Come support your fellow students!
* Congratulations to the West Fork boys basketball team on their win last night. They will play Newman on Tuesday night (2/20) at Algona.
* February 17th – 24th is National FFA Week.
* Today, February 16th at 4:00 p.m will be midterm eligibility check.
* Students interested in possibly participating in the spring play should sign up in Mr. Schluetter’s room by this Friday, February 16.
* There are a couple postsecondary representatives visiting West Fork this week.Please visit with these individuals to see what their institutions have to offer.
Just a reminder your NIACC ID will get you into several events for free such as the following listed below.
NIACC FREE Bowling @ Mystic the 2nd Wednesday of each month
NIACC FREE Movies @ Cinema West in Mason City the last Tuesday of each month
TRIVIA Challenge, Team Competition, NIACC Activity Center (AC) 7pm-9pm
14th Make a Name for Yourself, Artistic Gift Activity NIACC AC 9am-2pm
7th Chris Carter, Mentalist TBD
The link for the West Fork scholarship website can now be found on the West Fork CSD web page under the Students & Parents tab. Many of the deadlines for these scholarships are fast approaching. Please start reviewing your scholarship options today!
* The University of Iowa is the Tippie Gateway Program for high school juniors. This is a six-day residential program for students interested in studying business at Iowa. The program is in the summer between the students junior and senior year. Preference will be given to applicants from populations under-represented in business including minority, low-income, and/or first-generation. U of I will select 45 students to participate in this scholarship-funded program. The only cost for participants is their travel to and from campus.
· Six-day, residential program: Sunday June 24 through Friday June 29, 2018
· No cost to the students; housing, meals, and other expense are covered by scholarships
· Learn about the various business majors: Business Analytics, Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Management, Economics etc
· Interactive workshops focused on their strengths as students and leaders
· Participate in a case study competition
· Interact with students, faculty, staff and alumni of the Tippie College of Business
· Applications accepted through April 2, 2018 https://tippie.uiowa.edu/future-undergraduates/admissions/high-school-students/tippie-gateway-program
· Participants will be selected and notified by April 16th
If you have questions or want to discuss the program further, please call the Undergraduate Program Office in the Tippie College of Business at 319-335-1037 and ask to speak with Mark or Gabriela.
NIACC will be hostings its Bustin’ Out Blue event on March 3rd. This is our biggest Saturday visit program. Students interested in attending NIACC are encouraged to attend this event along with their parents/guardians.
NIACC will have breakout sessions about getting ready for college and the students will be split by their year in high school; Freshman & Sophomores, Juniors, and a Seniors group. That way we can talk more specifically about what they should be doing over the next several years or next several months depending on their age. There also will be a tour of campus and our on campus housing. All students and parents receive free admissions to our men’s and women’s basketball game against Southwestern Community College as well as a voucher for food at the concessions stand.
This is a great opportunity plus there will be awesome giveaways! $1,000 scholarships for seniors, Beats headphones, Google Chromecasts, a 32” LED TV and lots and lots of gift cards.