Announcements – January 27, 2020 – Day B
Today’s Lunch Menu: Macaroni/cheese, Green beans, Pineapple, Bread/butter
Tomorrow’s breakfast: Cereal/toast or egg omelet, Fruit
Tomorrow’s lunch: Chicken noodle soup, Grilled cheese, Crackers, Yogurt parfait
Choice 1: Chef salad Choice 2: Egg salad croissant
Sign up before 9:45 – either before school or after 1st block.
- There will be a boys track meeting during Warhawk time on Monday, 1/27 in the Media Center. All athletes should plan to attend.
- Congratulations to all Warhawks for great performances against Newman Catholic Friday night, at the wrestling tournament Saturday, and against H-D-CAL in our Coaches vs Cancer game on Saturday. Special recognition to Jakob Washington for tying the school record for points in a game with 36 against Newman Catholic on Friday night.
- Individual Speech contestants–please sign up for practice times with Mrs. Schafer and bring your pieces for the performance with you.
- Congratulations to the following students: Abbi Jirak, Taylor Kothenbeutel, Airika Starbuck, Grace Willms, Tanishka Daver and Jordan Swenson–these students are going to State Speech on February 8th to perform in Group Improv!
- Sukup is hosting an engineering job shadow day on Tuesday, February 18th from 10:00 – 2:00 with lunch included. Topics include Structural Engineering, Statics (Structural Analysis), Fluid, Manufacturing Processes (3D Printing), Work & Power and CAD Modeling (Solidworks). A confidentiality form will need to be filled out. The deadline to register for the event is February 13th. Please see Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- If a student is absent, the parent is asked to notify the office. The school phone system is setup to take messages 24 hours a day (for calls before and after the office is open). Upon returning to school after being absent from the building, the student is required to check in with the office. Before leaving for any reason during the school day, the student is required to check in with the office prior to leaving the building. If the school has not been notified and the student is absent the office will attempt to notify the parents or guardian. Either with and email fromJMC or a phone call .
- JUNIORS & SENIORS – Anne Boyer from NIACC will be here on Tuesday, February 4th to give the Accuplacer test. If you are a junior planning on taking NIACC Composition next year, you need to take the Accuplacer unless you have scored at least a 16 on the English portion of your ACT. If you are a senior and even considering NIACC and have not taken your ACT yet, it is strongly suggested that you take the Accuplacer. If you are enrolling in an industrial program next year, you also need to take the Accuplacer (except building trades and welding). Please see Mrs. Lillquist if you have questions or if you want to sign up to take the test.
- The following students have not turned in their NIACC books from fall semester: Cooper Hanson, Ren Heimer, Joe Ingham, Ali Rice, Lexi Schulte and Liz Speakar. Please turn them in ASAP!!!
- JUNIORS: The Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award is a $10,000 scholarship program for high school juniors. The program identifies up to 15 Iowa students who propose and then accomplish a project of their own choosing and design. The finalists will receive a $1,500 cash award. Three of the finalists could earn an additional $10,000 scholarship. The deadline is March 15, 2020. Please see Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- Please stop in the high school office if you are interested in signing up for Driver’s Education. This is open to any 8th graders and older that have their instruction permit. Students can sign up online by going to www.drivewise.co. You are also able to print off a form from the Drive Wise Website, fill it out and turn it into either the HS or Middle school office. The cost of the class is $350. This class will be held in Sheffield and will start February 6th at 5:30pm.
- Franklin REC is sponsoring a Youth Tour to Washington DC June 18 – June 25, 2020. To qualify for the Youth Tour, you must be a sophomore or junior in our district, you must take a test, participate in an interview process and provide a letter of recommendation. The quiz will cover material on the history and organization of rural electrification. Applications are due by Monday, March 2, 2020. The quiz and interview will be held on March 11, 2020 @ 2:00 p.m. at Franklin REC Office. Please visit www.youthtour.coop or visit with Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- SENIORS: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now open for the 2020-2021 school year. This free application allows you to apply for financial aid for college. If you are even considering attending college after graduation in May, you will want to fill this out. You can access the application at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. If you have questions, please see Mrs. Lillquist.
- As a reminder to both students and parents, if you are feeling unwell at school to the point that you think you need to go home, you are to first visit the school nurse who will do an assessment to determine if they should go home or if she feels they should try to stick it out for the rest of the day. We have far too many students texting or calling their parents and getting permission to go home without ever being evaluated. While we certainly don’t want students here who are ill and potentially contagious, a good attendance record is vital to their success here at school. It also helps them develop the work ethic and reliability that future employers will be looking for. Thank you for your cooperation with this. Shelley
Safe – Outstanding Citizens – Accountable – Respectful