Announcements – February 15, 2019 – Day A
Today’s lunch menu: Beef-n-cheese nachos, Carrots, Chips, Yogurt parfait, Pears, Milk
Monday’s breakfast menu: Cereal/toast or pancake on a Stick, Fruit, Milk
Monday’s lunch menu: Tenderloin/bun, Carrots, Baked beans, Pears, Milk
- Girls varsity locker room needs to be cleared out after school today for tonight’s boys basketball game against BCLUW. There will only be one game in Sheffield tonight starting at 8:00, doors will open at 7:00. Admission will be $6.00 and passes are not accepted. Good luck tonight against the Comets!
- Bus for Charles City departs at 4:10 with the girls’ regional semi-final against Sumner-Fredricksburg starting at 6:00 instead of 7:00. Good luck tonight against the Cougars!
- Reminder: School will be in session on Monday, February 18th.
- English 11 and Novels and Lit will be attending a lecture at Waldorf on February 19th. Erin Gruwell, author of The Freedom Writer’s Diary will be speaking about her teaching experience in Los Angeles. Students will be leaving at 9:15 and will return around 1:30. Please bring money for lunch as we will miss school lunch that day. Please dress accordingly.
- NHS Dodgeball Tournament will be held on February 24th from 1:00 – 4:00 pm and the West Fork Wellness Center. The tournament is to raise money for a Dance Marathon. Each team will need 6 players and the cost is $5 per person or $30 per team. Forms are in the office and the deadline to sign up is Friday, February 22nd.
- The Senior Class invites all West Fork HS students to a Valentine’s Dance on Saturday, February 16 from 8:00-11:00 in the North Gym. Cost is $5 at the door. Casual attire may be worn. Bars and drinks will also be served.
- If you plan to bring an out-of-town date to the Valentine’s Dance, you MUST complete a permission form that is signed by the student’s administrator. Pick one up in the office and return by February 14 at 3:30.
- Franklin REC will sponsor a student from the area to participate in the Iowa Rural Electric Youth Tour. This includes an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., from June 14-19, 2019. Parents DO NOT have to be members to participate in this opportunity. Applications are due on March 4. Visit www.franklinrec.coop or stop by the HS office for more information..
- For clarification: A two hour late start means that school starts at 10:15 regardless of the day of the week. Thanks!
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY – GREAT FOR SCHOLARSHIPS/RESUMES!!!
The Franklin County Extension is looking for volunteers to help with the 2nd-5th Grade Rockwell STEAM Club. The club meets in the FCS Room in the Rockwell school on the following dates and times:
Thursday, February 21st from 3:15-4:45 p.m.
More dates available through May. Watch for those in future announcements.
Contact Mrs. Otten at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested!
- Please see Mr. Thompson if you are interested in going out for baseball.
- February is the month that West Fork NHS students deliver Meals on Wheels. Please stop in the office to sign up. Thanks!
- Upon returning to school after being absent from the building, the student is required to check in at the office.
- Seniors, if you are even considering attending college the fall, 2019 semester, please work on completing your FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid soon. If you have questions regarding the FAFSA, please see Mrs. Lillquist. If you need help filling out the FAFSA, appointments can be made with a financial aid specialist in Mason City.
- JUNIORS & SENIORS – Anne Boyer will be here next Friday, February 22, all day to give the Accuplacer test. If you are a junior planning on taking NIACC Composition next year, you need to take the Accuplacer unless you have scored at least a 16 on the English portion of your ACT. If you are a senior and even considering attending NIACC and have not taken your ACT yet, it is strongly suggested that you take the Accuplacer. If you are enrolling in a program up at NIACC next year, you will also need to take the Accuplacer. Please see Mrs. Lillquist if you have questions or if you want to sign up to take it.
- There is an employment opportunity with the Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa for graduating seniors or students who will be 18 by June 15th. There are counselor, rope course and lifeguard positions available for this summer. They are hiring for two camps located in Boone, Iowa. The work schedule would be June 4 – August 13 with breaks between sessions and a long break over July 4th. If you are interested, but have a conflict with a small number of the days we work, go ahead and apply anyway, as they can likely work through an absence. The Unit Counselors salary range is $2400 – $2700. Please see Mrs. Lillquist for more information!