Announcements – February 3, 2020 – Day A
Today’s Lunch Menu: Grilled chicken/bun, Broccoli, Peaches
Tomorrow’s breakfast: Cereal/toast or egg omelet, Fruit
Tomorrow’s lunch: Spaghetti/meat sauce, Green beans, Pears, Breadstick
Choice 1: Chef salad Choice 2: Egg salad croissant
Sign up before 9:45 – either before school or after 1st block.
- The month of February is West Fork high school students month to deliver Meals on Wheels! NHS members, junior/senior student athletes and student council members are encouraged to sign up to deliver meals. Please stop in the office to sign up. Thanks for doing this!!
- There will be a short baseball meeting 11:15 in the Media Center on Tuesday, 2/4
- Ellie Weaver, Hunter Peterson, Autumn Stonecypher, Emma McKee, Keelee Sheriff, Grace Wilms. They all need to hand in their vb uniforms.
- Last day to let Mrs. Schafer know your event and title of piece for Individual Contest in Osage on February 29th
Large Group State Speech contestants:
Check the IHSSA website www.ihssa.org and click on the Dubuque link to get the latest information on contest times and other pertinent information.
Contest is February 8th.
- Individual speech contestants MUST sign up for a practice time and supply the TITLE and AUTHOR of your piece for the performance–REGISTRATION is coming up and we need to get this done by FRIDAY!!
- Sukup is hosting an engineering job shadow day on Tuesday, February 18th from 10:00 – 2:00 with lunch included. Topics include Structural Engineering, Statics (Structural Analysis), Fluid, Manufacturing Processes (3D Printing), Work & Power and CAD Modeling (Solidworks). A confidentiality form will need to be filled out. The deadline to register for the event is February 13th. Please see Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- Individual Speech contestants–please sign up for practice times with Mrs. Schafer and bring your pieces for the performance with you.
- If a student is absent, the parent is asked to notify the office. The school phone system is setup to take messages 24 hours a day (for calls before and after the office is open). Upon returning to school after being absent from the building, the student is required to check in with the office. Before leaving for any reason during the school day, the student is required to check in with the office prior to leaving the building. If the school has not been notified and the student is absent the office will attempt to notify the parents or guardian. Either with and email fromJMC or a phone call .
- JUNIORS & SENIORS – Anne Boyer from NIACC will be here tomorrow, Tuesday, February 4th to give the Accuplacer test. If you are a junior planning on taking NIACC Composition next year, you need to take the Accuplacer unless you have scored at least a 16 on the English portion of your ACT. If you are a senior and even considering NIACC and have not taken your ACT yet, it is strongly suggested that you take the Accuplacer. If you are enrolling in an industrial program next year, you also need to take the Accuplacer (except building trades and welding). Please see Mrs. Lillquist if you have questions or if you want to sign up to take the test.
- Students taking a NIACC class – if you have not gotten a NIACC student ID and would like one, please let Mrs. Lillquist know and we can arrange to have your photo taken while Anne Boyer is here tomorrow.
- The following students have not turned in their NIACC books from fall semester: Cooper Hanson, Ren Heimer, Ali Rice, Lexi Schulte and Liz Speakar. Please turn them in ASAP or you will need to cover replacement cost!!!
- JUNIORS: The Herbert Hoover Uncommon Student Award is a $10,000 scholarship program for high school juniors. The program identifies up to 15 Iowa students who propose and then accomplish a project of their own choosing and design. The finalists will receive a $1,500 cash award. Three of the finalists could earn an additional $10,000 scholarship. The deadline is March 15, 2020. Please see Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- Please stop in the high school office if you are interested in signing up for Driver’s Education. This is open to any 8th graders and older that have their instruction permit. Students can sign up online by going to www.drivewise.co. You are also able to print off a form from the Drive Wise Website, fill it out and turn it into either the HS or Middle school office. The cost of the class is $350. This class will be held in Sheffield and will start February 6th at 5:30pm.
- Franklin REC is sponsoring a Youth Tour to Washington DC June 18 – June 25, 2020. To qualify for the Youth Tour, you must be a sophomore or junior in our district, you must take a test, participate in an interview process and provide a letter of recommendation. The quiz will cover material on the history and organization of rural electrification. Applications are due by Monday, March 2, 2020. The quiz and interview will be held on March 11, 2020 @ 2:00 p.m. at Franklin REC Office. Please visit www.youthtour.coop or visit with Mrs. Lillquist for more information.
- SENIORS: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is now open for the 2020-2021 school year. This free application allows you to apply for financial aid for college. If you are even considering attending college after graduation in May, you will want to fill this out. You can access the application at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. If you have questions, please see Mrs. Lillquist.
- As a reminder to both students and parents, if you are feeling unwell at school to the point that you think you need to go home, you are to first visit the school nurse who will do an assessment to determine if they should go home or if she feels they should try to stick it out for the rest of the day. We have far too many students texting or calling their parents and getting permission to go home without ever being evaluated. While we certainly don’t want students here who are ill and potentially contagious, a good attendance record is vital to their success here at school. It also helps them develop the work ethic and reliability that future employers will be looking for. Thank you for your cooperation with this. Shelley
Happy belated birthday, Jake Swenson 2/2!!!
Safe – Outstanding Citizens – Accountable – Respectful